Monday 4 October 2010

Knowledge of things

The winged seeds of the Norway maples are spiralling down in their hundreds this morning. I stand face upward and they clatter off me on their way to germination below.

An event in the true sense of the word, as is the dazzling scarlet of the chest of a single high flying bird as she wing-zips into a yielding birch top.

And then to encourage a three foot grass snake to quit the road outside the farm-hand's cottage.

And two feet away a small brown-haired caterpillar on its tread across the road in the opposite direction: I help it across the vast expanse of asphalt, but it curls on itself, becomes a miniature tumbleweed and blows off my hand where it had walked and rolls into the dry stems of rosebay willow herb.

Winged seeds like the maples' are known as samara; I do not know the name of the scarlet chested bird. Linnaeus wrote: "Without names, our knowledge of things would perish." But even knowledge cannot blunt the raw edge of pure awe in seeing scarlet across a blue sky or of a ripple of snake muscle across grey road.

6 comments:

  1. I worked on a shrimping boat called "the smara" and the captain was very proud of the way she would dance and fly on the waves. Working for him, I learned a strong universe of sea/fish/fishing vocabulary and protocols that I translated to make sense of the organisation I work for now. There is a difference between "savoir" and "connaitre"... some things are impossible to "know within yourself", but that's where true knowledge dwels. Do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at sea today - physically - over to a wee island. Thought of your shrimper while watching/feeling those whitecaps. I know so many things, understand so few (any?) but am coming round to preferring to both understand and know less. "If it doesn't come from within, where will you go for it?" I'm frequently all at sea (metaphorically).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your idea, "If it doesn't come from within..." We say here, "Tu es dans le champs de patates", meaning in the potatoe patch or out in left field. That's my special place!

    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great home for nature. And how many different shades of autumn within your palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow in responding, Paulette, but potato fields seem to me to be a good place to be too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. & Gordon, it is a great place!

    ReplyDelete